27/05/2012

BAFTA TV AWARDS TONIGHT - WILL MY FAVOURITES WIN THIS TIME?


Richard Armitage & Miranda Raison (Baftas 2009)
The Bafta  TV Awards Ceremony is tonight at the Southbank Centre in London. It will be broadcast on BBC1 from 8.00 p.m. Here are all  the nominees in the different categories.

I've always followed this event with curiosity and great expectations in the last few years hoping my favourite series and actors won. Though has never actually happened. it was worth it all the same since,  at least,  I got new pictures, videos and some times interviews of Richard Armitage taking part in the ceremony, though only to give the prize to someone else (on the left)

I'll have a look at the show on BBC1 tonight to support Dame Maggie Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch, hoping they get the recognition they deserve.
They've been nominated as Best Leading Actress and Best Leading Actor respectively for their roles as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham in Downton Abbey (ITV 1) and Sherlock Holmes in BBC1 Sherlock
Sherlock series 2 has been already honoured with three BAFTA TV Craft Awards: Sherlock won awards for best sound: fiction, best editing  fiction and best writer (Steven Moffat  for the wonderful A Scandal in Belgravia)


Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock
Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey
Now tonight,  Benedict Cumberbatch will be there for his fourth nomination  tonight and in good company! In fact,  Martin Freeman (loyal Dr John Watson) and Andrew Scott (amazing Jim Moriarty)  have been also nominated for Best Supporting Actor. I can't choose among the latest two names. Let's see who is going to win since they were both incredibly good in Sherlock.
Spooks series 10
The series itself was sadly not nominated for best mini series (the category for which it was eligible) but it was possible to vote for Sherlock in the YouTube Audience Award (UK only). 

Last but not least,  I really hope Spooks wins in the Drama Series category. It has been nominated and it deserves to win as the acknowledgement of 10 seasons of high quality TV. Fingers crossed for Sir Harry and his unforgettable MI5 agents!

What are your favourite actors, series, programmes?






13 comments:

Phylly3 said...

I'm totally in agreement with everything you just said! Fingers crossed for all those you have mentioned! :)
I just wish RA was going to be there so we'd have some more lovely pictures of him in a suit!

Maria Grazia said...

It's over now. I followed the ceremony in streaming on my iPad and ... I'm quite disappointed. I'm happy Andrew Scott won as Supporting Actor but none of my favourites above won :-(
Was this Appropriate Adult so good? I'm not at all willing to see the story of a serial killer. I appreciated Dominic West in other roles but I'm not sure I want to see him as such a tragic character.
Emily Watson (Best Leading Actress) and Monica Dolan (Best Supporting Actress) were in that drama too.
Best Mini-Series This is England 88 and Best Drama Series The Fades. No Spooks :-( No Benedict Cumberbatch :-( No Maggie Smith :-(

Maria Grazia said...

@Phylly3
Since you agreed with all my faves, you'll be at least as disappointed as me. And as you said: no Richard Armitage either this year :-(
Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comment!

Phylly3 said...

It doesn't make much sense to me. Sherlock especially was amazing! WHO was Andrew Scott?

Phylly3 said...

Oh yeah, Moriarity -- okay-- he was good but Freeman was better. Overacting always gets more attention.

Maria Grazia said...

@phylly3
Well, actually Martin Freeman won the Bafta for Best Supporting Actor last year and just for his role as John Watson in Sherlock. An award + a second nomination for one role can be enough. Freeman can be satisfied.It's Cumberbatch who didn't get the Bafta last year nor this one!

Phylly3 said...

Well then, THAT is just inexcusable! He certainly deserved it - especially THIS year! That mini-breakdown on the Hounds of Baskerville was really something!

Alessia Carmicino said...

I'm extremely disappointed! It's unfair...Ben deserved to win! http://firstimpressions86.blogspot.it/2012/05/scandal-in-baftavia.html

Maria Grazia said...

@Alessia Carmicino
You know, I totally agree with you.
Off to your blog :-)

Vava, A country dreaming mum said...

BIIIIIIIIIIIIG disappointment!! I wish Benedict had won too!!! :-(
But please explain how you get to see BBC live!! That's vital information, I need to know, I must know!!! :-)
Silvana

Maria Grazia said...

@Vava
Sorry, Silvana. I've just seen this comment now.
I have a very "precious" app on my iPad and I can watch lots of TV channels live.
That's it. it's as simple as that!

Vava, A country dreaming mum said...

Thanks MG. Not THAT simple really, as I'd have to provide myself with an iPad first ... maybe I'll ask Santa Claus :-)

Maria Grazia said...

@Vava
Well, I've got it on my iPad since it is free there, but you can have it on your computer too. I'm not sure it is for free in that case. If you want to check it out http://www.filmon.com/tv/htmlmain/#BBC-One