27/03/2009

A FLIGHT BACK IN TIME



Do you remember the first book you read? I bet most of you do.
My unforgettable first long reading was Louisa May Alcott’s “LITTLE WOMEN” and I’m sure I share this memory and experience with many “old girls”.
I was 9 years old and my sweet motherly teacher gave me this book as a present. I started reading it and loved it at once, then I wanted - and got- its sequel “LITTLE WOMEN GROW UP”, then “LITTLE MEN” and “JO’S BOYS”. My passion for reading books began with Jo, Meg, Amy, Beth, Laurie and their adventures. I started dreaming of being a succesful writer one day, like Jo, but ended (like her in “Jo’s Boys”) being a teacher! I’ve never stopped loving this novel since then and never stopped reading and collecting books!













At 9, I read it in Italian, of course, but here is the first page of the original version in English for you to enjoy …


"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
"It's so dreadful to be poor!" sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress.
"I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls nothing at all," added little Amy, with an injured sniff.
"We've got Father and Mother, and each other," said Beth contentedly from her corner.
The four young faces on which the firelight shone brightened at the cheerful words, but darkened again as Jo said sadly, "We haven't got Father, and shall not have him for a long time." She didn't say "perhaps never," but each silently added it, thinking of Father far away, where the fighting was.
Nobody spoke for a minute; then Meg said in an altered tone, "You know the reason Mother proposed not having any presents this Christmas was because it is going to be a hard winter for everyone; and she thinks we ought not to spend money for pleasure, when our men are suffering so in the army. We can't do much, but we can make our little sacrifices, and ought to do it gladly. But I am afraid I don't," and Meg shook her head, as she thought regretfully of all the pretty things she wanted."

1. IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE READING CLICK HERE





2. IF YOU PREFER TO VISIT A SITE DEDICATED TO THE AUTHOR OF "LITTLE WOMEN",
LOUISA MAY ALCOTT, CLICK HERE

3.DO YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT
"LITTLE WOMEN"? TRY THIS QUIZ

NOW WATCH SOME VIDEOCLIPS FROM THE
1994 FILM ADAPTATION WITH WYNONA RYDERS AS JO AND
SUSAN SARANDON AS MRS MARCH












WELL ... IT'S TIME TO GO BACK TO THE PRESENT! BUT DON'T STOP FLYING HIGH WITH YOUR...DREAMS.
TILL VERY SOON!

2 comments:

Phylly3 said...

Maria!
I just found your post here and had to tell you that Little Women was my favourite book from childhood too! (Although I must have read an abridged version, as I have the unabridged now, and it is much more wordy than I remember.)
My family consisted of 4 daughters as well and as I am the youngest I imagined myself like Amy who was somewhat spoiled but artist, and best of all -- ended up with Laurie! Yay! Although I also identified with Jo as I always wanted to be a writer. I also read all the sequels.
I will have to go back and look at all your lovely screen caps. Have you seen the older version with Katherine Hepburn as Jo and Elizabeth Taylor as Amy? That version is probably my favourite as Katherine Hepburn makes the perfect Jo!

Maria Grazia said...

@phylly3
I'm afraid I've never seen the old version you mention. I'll try to get it. Hepburn and Taylor -especially the first one - were wonderful actresses! Thanks for suggesting it!